PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE APPLYING.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the right candidate who has a passion for animal welfare and helping to save lives of dogs and cats.
Past hands-on experience working with dogs and cats is essential. Preferably from working with them in a rescue environment or similar. This is not a role for a trainee so please do not apply if you do not have relevant experience in this field and are comfortable and confident handling dogs and cats when in stressful situations.
Duties include but are not limited to maintaining high standards of dog and cat care and welfare consisting of walking, exercising, training, feeding, cleaning, providing medical care and socialising of animals in our care. Ensuring the whole centre site remains clean, tidy and welcoming. Actively seeking out rehoming opportunities as a priority.
To understand the animals in our care are not ‘boarded’ but are in our care until a suitable home can be found. Promotion of the charity, and its animals is the responsibility of those working within the centre.
The role also entails greeting visitors, liaising with fosterers and potential adopters, answering telephone calls and email enquiries as well as other administrative duties under guidance of the Rescue Centre Manager. The candidate will need the ability to follow instructions to complete their role, as well as being able to be proactive in taking necessary actions or flagging issues where appropriate.
The role is rewarding yet physically demanding and requires both indoor and outdoor work 365 days of the year in all weather conditions.
Experience working with dogs and cats is essential. Preferably from working with them in a rescue environment or similar, and upwards of 1 year. This is not a Trainee Role.
Must be a friendly, caring, approachable and confident individual having empathy and care at the forefront in all they do. A passion for animal rescue is essential. Good time keeping and organisational skills are essential. The role requires both working individually and as a team. The ideal candidate needs to have a positive attitude towards their work with the high standard of welfare expected in their care as their number one priority at all times.
The hours of work are on a rota basis working a minimum of 21 hours per week, mostly mornings with potential to work up to 40 hours per week as required during periods of increased workload and holiday cover as required by the needs and demands of the charity. The successful applicant must be available to work between 8am-6pm, Monday to Sunday. This role involves working weekends and bank holidays. We are looking for someone available to start the role as soon as possible.
Interested candidates should send their CV with a written letter saying why they want the job, but also what they bring to the rescue centre.
CLOSING DATE 14/01/2016, but may close sooner if the right candidate came along.
Job Type: Part/Full-time and Negotiable
Salary: Negotiable depending on experience
Applicants will be contacted viaINDEED only and if you haven’t received a reply by closing date this time you haven’t been successful
- Experienced WORKING in a Dog and cat handling environment.: 1 year
Required licence or certification:
- Full Clean UK Driving Licence
RAIN Rescue Job Description: Welfare Assistant.
Responsible to: Rescue Centre Manager
Rain Rescue save the lives of over 400 dogs and cats each year this is a responsible and hard working role but one that will be extremely rewarding for the right person.
Main Purpose of the Post
To support the Rescue Centre Manager in the day to day running of the rescue centre always considering the ultimate goal of finding new homes for the animals in the charity’s care. Ultimately responsible for the welfare of the dogs and cats in Rain Rescue’s care. Ensure the centre operates in line with Rain Rescue policies, procedures, health and safety guidelines and legal obligations.
- Commitment, enthusiasm and passion for the role and the charity’s cause.
- Able to work under own initiative and take a proactive approach to changing business needs and objectives.
- The ability to team work, co-operate and collaborate.
- A positive attitude: a ‘can do’ approach, good work ethic and willingness to learn.
- Committed to achieving the highest animal welfare standards at all times.
- Personable and involved.
- Strong time management and organisational skills.
- Reliable, honest and flexible.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the welfare of all animals in Rain Rescue’s care. Ensuring the highest standards of care are given at all times, always working towards compliance with the ADCH code of practice.
- The daily care, watering, feeding, hygiene, cleanliness and exercise, as well as the prevention of outbreaks and transmission of disease.
- Ensure all animals entering the centre are assessed and rehabilitated as necessary so that they may be matched to a suitable home and prepared for life as a family pet following and actioning training and development plans
- Responsible for ensuring vet visits are carried out as necessary. Co-operation with the consulting vet in respect of the examination and treatment of animals including ensuring that treatments and medications are administered in the prescribed quantity at the specified intervals ensuring this is accurately recorded.
- Seeking out and maximising potential rehoming opportunities including but not limited to promotion of animals to the public by use of website and social media using quality photography and videoing and storytelling.
- Undertaking all duties in a caring, understanding and empathetic manner.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Ensure the facility and surroundings are maintained in a tidy and presentable standard and secure at all times, creating an environment that is pleasant and safe for the animals, visitors, animal care staff and volunteers
- Ensuring all health and safety measures and procedures are observed and adhered to by staff, volunteers and the general public within the facility. Ensuring regular health and safety checks are carried out reporting any accidents or incidents promptly and correctly.
- To support the Rescue Centre Manager in the day to day running of the rescue centre in its entirety and to fulfill daily duties as required in their absence with the ability to work productively, effectively and to the standard required by the charity.
- Working with other rescue centre staff and volunteer teams and promoting good practice.
- Dealing with public enquiries and replying to their enquiries in a timely and professional manner. This includes but is not limited to telephone, email and social media enquiries. Demonstrate excellent customer service, present a positive and professional image at all times, being an ambassador for Rain Rescue.
- Responsible for administration, this includes but is not limited to recordkeeping, adoption, cash handling, banking and staff management documentation. To ensure that cash control, cash handling and banking procedures are properly followed. Also ensuring in administration procedures are followed by managers, staff and volunteers including but not limited to gift aid, VAT and use of ASM database for animal care record keeping, re-homing associated administration.
- Ensuring the cost effectiveness of all operations and activities.
- Education of the public and promotion of the good name of Rain Rescue, through the effective use of information, campaign and promotional material. Participation in any media facilities and /or public relations events as required in support of the communications strategy. In liaison with the Charity and Deputy Charity Manager to facilitate good media coverage about Rain Rescue.
- Undertaking all duties in a way that values others and does not discriminate and promotes equality.
- To use the company vehicle for tasks such as transportation of animals as well as other needs as the business requires.
- Post holders need to be aware that the role is physically challenging and demanding.
- This job description summarises the main duties and responsibilities of the post. The post holder may be required to undertake other appropriate duties as required by the needs and demands of the business.
- While at work all staff are required to:
- take care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts and omissions.
- attend work in any given uniform, always having a clean, tidy and presentable appearance.
Location Rotherham, South Yorkshire S66
Hours of work Negotiable
Rate of pay Negotiable
Posted on December 17, 2015
Categories: News, Our Diary
Tags: animal job, animal rescue centre job, animal rescue job, cat job, cat rescue job, cattery, dog rescue job, job, job vacancy cattery, kennel assistant, kennels, rescue job, rotherham job, south yorkshire, south yorkshire job, vacancy, vacancy rotherham, vacancy south yorkshire, welfare assistant, work with cats, work with dogs, yorkshire animal jobn, yorkshire job