Are you a dog lover looking for a chance to gain practical experience and skills?
Rain Rescue are looking for enthusiastic and caring people to help us look after and exercise our dogs until they find loving new homes. You need to be free to volunteer a minimum of 1 x 4 hour shift each week for a duration of no less than 3 months. An essential part of this role is spending time cleaning kennels ensuring a safe and healthy environment for the dogs and delivering care activities, with the added bonus of dog walking and play once these duties are complete.
For this role you will be required to complete our site induction, dog induction and follow ongoing training as needed. You will need to be at least 18 years of age.
8.00am – 12.00 noon
1.00pm – 5.00pm
- helping with toilet routines
- making beds, filling water, cleaning kennels and bowls
- feeding and grooming
- following instructions for socialising, calming, stroking and playing
- monitoring animal health, welfare and behaviour and updating records
What we’re looking for
- a minimum commitment of 3 months (time off for irregular events understood)
- punctuality and reliability
- experience of owning or caring for dogs (many of our dogs are large and boisterous often with unknown backgrounds and history).
- an interest in dog welfare and a ‘Can Do’ attitude
- ability to work alone or as part of a team
- willingness to learn and follow Rain Rescue procedures
- a reasonable level of fitness to carry out an active role handling and walking dogs.
Benefits to you
- knowing you’re helping dogs in need
- a chance to gain practical skills and experience
- stay active and healthy
- develop skills and enhance your CV for a career in animal welfare
- joining a great team of like-minded people
We’ll look after you
The time you give to support us in our work is precious, and in return we promise to give you all the training, support and flexibility you need.
Some extra info
Rain Rescue is a charity and doesn’t receive statutory funding, so we couldn’t exist without the kindness of people like you. We really appreciate all of #TeamRain taking a pro-active approach to help fundraise and raise awareness. This could include attending occasional local events.
If the shifts are available, this role has the flexibility for you to join a morning and afternoon together to volunteer for a full day.