Would you love a pet but can’t because work commitments mean you’re out all day? Do you have time in the evenings or weekends to give a dog a break from kennels?
Rain Rescue are looking for kind, committed volunteers who can offer evening and/or weekend foster care to our dogs in your own home. For this role you will be required to complete our induction and follow ongoing training as needed. You will need to be at least 18 years of age.
Temporary respite periods are:
Evenings = being free to collect dogs before 5pm and return them to the centre at 8am the next day.
Weekends = being free to collect dogs before 5pm on the Friday or an agreed time on Saturday, and return them at an agreed time on Sunday or 8am Monday.
- caring for a Rain Rescue dog in your home in the evenings and/or weekends
- providing temporary foster care across agreed periods
- feeding, exercising, socialising, giving medication and grooming to provide all the necessary care to ensure the welfare of the dog you are offering respite to (food and medication is provided)
- reporting your observations of the dog in your home to assist behavioural assessment
What we’re looking for
- experience of handling and caring for dogs
- suitable transport for animal collection and vet visits
- your own home or landlord permission for temporary respite foster
- punctuality and reliability
- willingness to learn and follow Rain Rescue procedures
- a regular commitment (temporary respite foster can be flexible around your schedule across a committed time period)
Benefits to you
- knowing you’re helping dogs in need
- a chance to gain practical skills and experience
- staying active and healthy
- develop skills and enhance your CV for a career in animal welfare
- join a great team of like-minded people
We’ll look after you
The time you give to support us in our work is precious, and in return we promise to give you all the training, support and flexibility you need.
Some extra info
Rain Rescue is a charity and doesn’t receive statutory funding, so we couldn’t exist without the kindness of people like you. We really appreciate all of #TeamRain taking a pro-active approach to help fundraise and raise awareness. This could include attending occasional local events.
You will be required to have a home check before starting temporary respite foster by one of the Rain Rescue team, this can be arranged at a time to suit you.